006 – Keith Hanshaw, The Leather Satchel Co. – The Joy of Manufacturing
Listen to this episode of the Make it British Podcast (31:45)
Powered by the Simple Podcast Press Player
There’s a misconception that manufacturing is unpleasant and unwanted work. That couldn’t be further from the truth. Producing physical product can be incredibly satisfying and fulfilling.
Listen to my interview with Keith Hanshaw from The Leather Satchel Co. to find out more about the joy of manufacturing
I had the pleasure of interviewing Keith Hanshaw, who works in his family’s leather satchel business. Keith discusses the joy he finds in manufacturing – in creating something of value with skill and intelligence, and the pride that goes with that. And, how that joy and pride in the manufacturing process can form the foundation of a successful commercial business.
- How his family business started
- Why craftsmanship is at the heart of everything his business does
- How the business survived the downturn in UK manufacturing in the 1990s and what turned it around
- How he connects with his customers by sharing the processes and craft that goes into his products
- The benefits of selling direct to the customer
- Why value is much more important than price
Leather Satchel Co. shop at Albert Dock:
19, Albert Dock
Business Design Centre, London N1
Want to find out how your business can benefit from being at the show? Apply here