145 – Revisited: James Eden, Private White V.C.
In this episode, I revisit an interview I did back in 2018 which is still very relevant today.
It’s a ‘no holds barred’ interview with James Eden, owner of Private White V.C. who tells me how he’s turned a clothing factory that solely manufactured for other brands, including Burberry, into one that makes 90% own-brand luxury clothing sold direct to the customer.
Find out how (and why) James took on this challenge and his unique costing policies which have helped his business stand out in the crowd.
It’s great advice for any British-made brand or UK manufacturer.
- The history behind the Private White V.C. brand
- Why James decided to switch his factories production from solely manufacturing for other brands to launching his own label
- Advice he’d give to other manufacturers that want to launch their own brand
- The challenges the factory faced when supplying big brands and retailers
- The pros and cons of selling wholesale
- How he’s flipped his pricing strategy on its head and the reaction that it’s had with their customers
- His decision to offer transparent costings
- Why good design is so important
- His thoughts on Black Friday – “zero discount on everything”
- How to build a loyal customer base
- His initiatives to recruit and develop staff and skills