140 – Why UK manufacturing is more sustainable – Christopher Nieper OBE, David Nieper
It makes for very interesting insights into how making in the UK can be quantified as more sustainable.
A big advocate for slow fashion, Christopher has also found that his customers keep and wear his clothes 10 times longer than average.
- How the David Nieper factory uses ‘just-in-time’ manufacturing to achieve a 98% sell-through on their garments
- Christopher’s plans to make the David Nieper factory the greenest factory in Europe, recovering the heat generated by the factory to use as renewable energy
- How he’s changing the attitudes of young people in his local town by giving them a taste of what it’s like inside a real manufacturing environment
- The charity that the business has set up to help rebuild a local secondary school that was in the bottom 2% of schools in the UK and make it over-subscribed for the first time in 30 years
- Christopher’s idea for a labelling scheme for clothing that ranks the environmental sustainability of every garment
This episode is the recording of a talk that Christopher did at Make it British Live! Online.