There are around 4,000 manufacturers based in Greater London, making everything from bicycles, ballet shoes, military uniforms, neon signs, umbrellas, mannequins and paint. Photographer Carmel King and factory owner Mark Brearley have produced a stunning book showcasing 50 of the best manufacturers in London. In this interview I talk to them about London’s rich and diverse manufacturing heritage and how they selected their favourite factories to go into the book.
- 02:11 How the idea of the book came about
- 04:12 How the 50 factories and workshops were picked to be featured
- 09:11 How Mark loved one factory so much that he bought it!
- 12:16 Some of Mark and Carmel’s favourite London factories.
- 16:01 The biggest challenge facing the inner city’s factories and workshops.
- 22:13 Carmel’s tips on how to take good quality photographs in factories
Mentioned in this Episode
More Carmel King
More Mark Brearley
Stay in Touch
British Brand Accelerator – Find out how you can work with me to build your British-made brand
Join Make it British – become a member of our community and promote your business in our directory or UK-made brands and manufacturers
Make it British on YouTube – subscribe to my YouTube channel to watch many of the podcast episodes as videos.