Julie Deane CBE, set up the Cambridge Satchel Company in 2008 with £600 and went on to make it a global, multi-million-pound business.
But behind the success story, there was a lot of hard work, including having to set up her own factory in Leicestershire almost overnight.
In this interview, she tells the story behind the brand and talks about how the business has evolved over the last 12 years.
- Why Julie ended up setting up her own factory and why she’d recommend that any other brand should do the same 03:21
- What advice she would give to someone setting up a British-made brand 14:18
- Why she decided to manufacture the bags in the UK 16:30
- How Julie holds a world record for listening to business pitches 21:29
- How investment changed the business 25:28
- The lessons Julie learnt on the way as the business began to grow 31:57
- The inspirations behind the other products in the Cambridge Satchel range 38:26
- What the future holds for Cambridge Satchel and why they are proud to wave the flag for UK manufacturing 46:59
More Cambridge Satchel Company
Stay in Touch
British Brand Accelerator – Find out how you can work with me to build your British-made brand
Join Make it British – become a member of our community and promote your business in our directory or UK-made brands and manufacturers
Make it British on YouTube – subscribe to my YouTube channel to watch many of the podcast episodes as videos.