John Elliott MBE founded Ebac nearly 50 years ago. The company has also sold 1.5 million dehumidifiers over the years and is the only manufacturer of washing machines in the UK.
John is very passionate about UK manufacturing and his thoughts on the UK Government, the supermarkets and Which? make for entertaining listening.
- How John left school at 15 with no qualifications and set up Ebac by making a small order of dehumidifiers 01:35
- How he used the profits to plough back into the business to set up his own manufacturing 05:27
- Why more people should work in manufacturing 05:46
- How you need to play to your strengths when running a business 08:36
- John’s thoughts on the Government and how they should prioritise manufacturing 09:27
- John responds to the Which? reviews of Ebac products 14:55
- What do the Ebac customers think of their products being made in the UK? 16:55
- Why aren’t more companies making white goods in the UK? 18:05
- How leaving the EU will affect UK trade 19:50
- The difficulty of getting a new white goods brand introduced into the retailers and why no one makes electric kettles in the UK anymore 27:40
- Which other UK manufacturers John admires 31:32
More about John Elliott and Ebac
Stay in Touch
British Brand Accelerator – Find out how you can work with me to build your British-made brand
Join Make it British – become a member of our community and promote your business in our directory or UK-made brands and manufacturers
Make it British on YouTube – subscribe to my YouTube channel to watch many of the podcast episodes as videos.