MADE TO LAST retail furniture and homeware made in Britain. Based in Cambridge we retail online and it is our aim to introduce people to products that will stand the test of time. All of the products sold on MADE TO LAST are manufactured in the UK.
We believe that current consumer culture has some shortcomings:
- Many products are made to only last a short amount of time before they break and we are forced to buy new products.
- Too many products lack utility value. They are unnecessary and simply lie around unused.
- People shop on price to a large extent as it is easy to measure. As other information such as life span of a product is less clear it is difficult to determine the true cost of a product.
- We believe globalisation is a good thing and that diversity is incredibly important but currently the way materials and products move around the globe is incredibly wasteful.
- Product guarantees are typically 1 year and beyond that consumers are pushed to insure their products against breakage. Manufacturers need to take responsibility for their product quality.
MADE TO LAST is setting out to do things differently:
- All products shown on the website will have a clear guarantee shown on the product page. Customers can therefore judge the true cost and value of a product.
- All products will be manufactured in Britain and sold in Britain (some raw materials may come from other countries) – this will help to strengthen local industries and craftspeople and at the same time mean that additional costs are not fed into our products to cover international transport and taxes.
- Everything on MADE TO LAST will have a high utility value. No nodding dogs or dancing flowers here.
Hopefully this website will help to improve the quality and sustainability of products sold in the UK and also help people to get real value for their money.
All products are designed in the British Isles by British owned companies. Wherever possible we use British manufacturers too. 90% of the products we sell are manufactured in the British Isles. On every product page on the website it shows where the product was made. For British made products it shows the County of Manufacture. For Overseas made products there is a badge saying 'Overseas' so you ca be clear on the origin of the products you are buying.
This again varies by supplier. Some suppliers source only in the UK whereas other do import some of their materials from overseas. The key thing for us is that all of the products are incredibly high quality and are manufactured in the UK.