Listen to this episode of the Make it British Podcast (29:04)
Powered by the Simple Podcast Press Player
Can running a social enterprise and manufacturing a world-class product go hand in hand?
I talk to the inspiring Jo Ashburner-Farr, who has reinstated her family’s flag making business as an ethical manufacturing business, focusing on social profit.
Run as a social enterprise, Red Dragon Flagmakers take on staff regardless of their background. They give them the skills and training required to make world-class flags, offering the opportunity of a job for life.
All profits go back into the personal and professional development of the staff.
- The history of manufacturing in the Welsh Valleys
- How manufacturing can help build communities and be used for social good
- The necessity to invest in people to maintain skills which would otherwise be lost with the ageing population
- Her thoughts on being a female factory boss
- How to run a successful factory by working collaboratively with your staff
- How she builds relationships with her clients
- Why engaging with social media is critical to promote your business
- The importance of having a world-class product
Business Design Centre, London N1
Want to find out how your business can benefit from being at the show? Apply here