191 – From the archive: Building a great British brand – Julie Deane CBE, Cambridge Satchel Company
Julie Deane CBE, set up the Cambridge Satchel Company in 2008 with £600 and went on to make it a global, multi-million-pound British brand.
But behind the success story, there was a lot of hard work, including having to set up her own factory in Leicestershire almost overnight.
In this interview, she tells the story behind the brand and talks about how the business has evolved over the last 12 years.
- Why Julie ended up setting up her own factory and why she’d recommend that any other brand should do the same [03:21]
- What advice she would give to someone setting up a British-made brand [14:18]
- Why she decided to manufacture the bags in the UK [16:30]
- How Julie holds a world record for listening to business pitches [21:29]
- How investment changed the business [25:28]
- The lessons Julie learnt on the way as the business began to grow [31:57]
- The inspirations behind the other products in the Cambridge Satchel range [38:26]
- What the future holds for Cambridge Satchel and why they are proud to wave the flag for UK manufacturing [46:59]
More Cambridge Satchel Company