From the archive: Calling out Boohoo for using unethical garment factories – Dominique Muller, Labour Behind the Label
Labour Behind the Label is a workers rights organisation that fights for living wages for garment workers, especially for those working in unethical garment factories.
They have produced a report about the unethical working practices of factories in Leicester making for Boohoo.
The industry has often called into question how Boohoo can sell dresses for £4 and still make them ethically in the UK, and this report by Labour Behind the Label makes for distressing reading. Talking of staff made to work in factories making Boohoo clothes whilst suffering from Covid 19.
Dominique Muller is the policy director at Labour Behind the Label, and in this episode, she talks about what needs to be done to ensure workers in Leicester are treated fairly and paid a living wage.
- Who are Labour Behind the Label and how the organisation came about [04:27]
- Why the organisation is focusing on the UK garment industry in particular [06:05]
- The reasons why Boohoo has been singled out in the report written by Labour Behind the Label [08:57]
- What local councils and other authorities can do to stop unethical factories [11:45]
- The worst discoveries that Labour Behind the Labour made when they looked into how garment workers were treated during the pandemic [15:26]
- Dominque’s thoughts on how the good manufacturers in Leicester would benefit from brands returning to the city [17:47]
- The work Labour Behind the Label does to educate brands and retailers on how to make sure their production is ethical [20:15]
- What distinguishes a brand or retailer that is ethical to its workers [23:33]
- What the consumer can do to make sure they aren’t funding unethical practices and companies [26:42]
- Why brands should be more transparent about where their products are made [29:21]
- What the government could be doing better in terms of positive changes being made in the fashion industry [32:16]
- How people can support Labour Behind the Label [40:24]
About Labour Behind the Label
Clean Clothes Campaign – improving working conditions in the global garment industry including unethical garment factories
Fashion Checker – find out if the brands you buy from are paying their factory workers a living wage
If you want to find UK manufacturers to help make your products, the best place to start is browsing through our manufacturers directory. It is free to browse, we only ask that you mention you found them through Make it British.