155 – Creating change in the UK fashion industry – Lee Akpareva
Lee Akpareva is a fashion designer, tailor and technology consultant.
He’s also creative director of Never Fade, a fashion store and creative space on Old Compton Street in London.
We chat about collaborations within the fashion industry, helping new designers get a head start, and how blockchain and technology are impacting the fashion industry and manufacturing.
- About Lee and his background before becoming a designer [02:40]
- Having a second-life career [05:34]
- Why he decided to go to fashion school as a mature student [07:58]
- How he started working with Never Face [10:27]
- About the Never Fade store and the designers they work with [12:17]
- Why Lee is focusing on UK production [15:32]
- How they select the up-and-coming designers for Never Fade [16:09]
- How money and funding is a big constraint for new designers [17:43]
- Why there’s not more diversity in fashion colleges [18:21]
- Why aren’t there more black tailors? [21:40]
- Lee’s future plans for his business? [23:23]
- Why collaboration is the way forward for the industry [25:31]
- The rise of Blockchain and NFC [26:26]
- The rise of ‘digital’ clothing and accessories [29:32]
- The adoption of technology in fashion manufacturing [32:35]
- How we can reinvigorate our high streets [37:06]
More about Lee Akpareva