126 – Simon Cotton, Johnstons of Elgin – Looking after Scotland’s oldest cashmere brand
Johnstons of Elgin is the largest textile manufacturer in the UK. The 223 year old company employs over 1,000 people and was the first to bring cashmere weaving to Scotland.
Simon Cotton is the chief executive of Johnstons, and in this interview these are some of the points we cover:
- The history of Scottish cashmere
- How the business is making its products more sustainable
- The need to focus on high value products
- Supplying private label customers
- Changes he anticipates for the business as a result of Covid-19.