A Made in Britain debate on the future of manufacturing in the UK took place as part of the Festival of Britain Power and Production Weekend at the Southbank Centre a couple of weeks ago.
Here is a video of the debate, featuring the BBC’s Evan Davis, Mark Adams from Vitsoe, Will Butler-Adams from Brompton Bikes, and Jing Lu from Black Country Atelier.
6 facts about Made in Britain from the video:
- Britain is still one of the Top 10 manufacturing countries in the world
- As a nation we are 5 or 6 times richer than China.
- The UK no longer makes many T-shirts but we do make Brompton Bikes and Rolls Royce jet engines
- Vitsoe moved all manufacturing to the UK in 1995 and since then has seen year on year growth
- We went into importing rather than exporting, but we went too far
- MD of Brooks admits his Brooks jacket is made in China!